Holy Rosary Church is a parish community within the Roman Catholic Church. It is a parish within the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., which comprises the District of Columbia and five Maryland counties: St. Mary’s, Charles, Calvert, Prince Georges and Montgomery. The Archdiocese comes under the leadership of Archbishop Ronald W. Wuerl.
Churches are established according to the needs of a particular locality. Holy Rosary Church was established in 1913 to serve the spiritual needs of the Italian immigrants who first lived in its immediate neighborhood. Now it serves the Italian immigrants in Washington, D.C., in Southern Maryland and in Northern Virginia, as well as all Catholics on the move in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
Holy Rosary is one of many Catholic Churches which serves a special ethnic community. This is the uniqueness of the Catholic Church, which together with its unity in beliefs and oneness in authority, it is still able to reach out and serve people of all races and cultures, respecting their individual characteristics.
The Church is a beautiful Italian church with many features of an artistic nature inside. These include a large painting behind the main altar, a marble pulpit, stained glass windows, and mosaic stations of the cross that are little jewels of art and devotion. A recent addition is the precious mosaic of the Vatican school of the last century that plays the classic “Veil of Veronica.”
We invite members, friends, and visitors to Sunday Mass and to the coffee hour afterwards in Casa Italiana. Espresso and cappucino are offered from our coffee bar. This is a time for socializing and exchanging of information on what is happening in the Parish and in the Italian community. Anyone wishing to become a parishioner should fill out a census form. Call the parish office for more information at 202-638-0165.